Awhile back, one of my mentor teachers, Willow Ryan, brought up a great question: “If you could could summarize in one word or short phrase what yoga means to you, what would it be?”
The word that popped into my head first was “connection”. I just know yoga makes me feel more connected to my breath, those around me, and the universe in general. Even my feet feel more connected to the earth as I walk out of yoga class.
I posed this same question to a number of Forrest yogis and this is what words they used to describe what yoga means to them:
- The Practice of connecting to myself and others
- Space to actualize intention
- BE FREE
- Paying attention
- Letting myself be Home…At home in your body…At home with your mind…Safe, secure, peaceful. living in the present moment
- A breath-deepening journey into love and compassion
- Bliss of embodiment
- Breath connecting mind body and spirit
- Me time
- Physical practice of connecting with Spirit
- A safe place for me
- A practice where I can feel fluid and feel inhabiting my body with love
- Healing and brightening up my mind, body, and spirit
- Finding balance and connecting to spirit
- An expression of life
- Connection: connecting body, breath, mind and spirit
- Inhabiting my body and spirit and developing my superpowers to live life with passion
- Yoga to me is the essence of AUM. A lifestyle of consciousness through liberation of body, mind, and spirit.
- Truth. Life.
- Knowing that if you truly want to ever love someone, you must see love in ALL things.
What does yoga mean to you?